Inspired by Spend with Pennies
2-3 medium zucchini (or) summer squash
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
1 pound ground beef (or) sausage
½ bunch of scallions diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 red bell pepper diced, optional
1 ½ cups pasta sauce marinara, divided
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Kidney beans, corn, or other fresh vegetables can be added. Try Italian Sausage or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little heat.
1. Slice squash lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the center to create a ½-inch thick shell. Brush with olive oil and season the squash with salt & pepper to taste.
2. Cook ground meat, scallions, and garlic in a large skillet. Drain any fat. Stir in the bell pepper, squash bits from the center and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until it begins to soften.
3. Stir in 1 cup pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
4. Place the squash in a large baking dish. Fill each squash with the meat mixture.
Top with the remaining ½ cup pasta sauce and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.
5. Top with the cheeses and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the zucchini/squash is soft and the cheese is bubbly.
*Save time, grab these kitchen tools:
– Cutting board
– Baking Dish