By Chef Gretchen Fayerweather
I am often the first one up when we go camping, here is a fun, easy breakfast that can be done over the fire when everyone else still sleeps! Or at home in the oven!
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium-large tomato
1 large egg
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons mozzarella cheese
3 each, fresh basil leaves, sliced
2 Tablespoons tomato sauce (optional)
1. On a campfire wait for the fire to die down to just embers or pre-heat oven to 350F. Coat one piece of foil with oil and gather ingredients.
2. Cut the tomato top off and spoon out the seeds.
3. Place the cored tomato into the foil. Place inside the tomato, garlic, honey, salt, and vinegar. Cover and add to the fire or oven.
4. Roast in the center of the oven (15 minutes) or in the embers (5-8 min) until the tomatoes are soft and skin has started to blister.
5. Remove from heat. Peel foil open and crack your egg into the tomato. Place cheese and basil over egg. Replace cover and place back into the fire or 350F oven.
6. Cook until egg is cooked to your preference (8-10 min. for easy-over to 15 min. for over-hard). You can eat this right out of the foil!
*Save time, grab these kitchen tools:
– Large knife
– Cutting board
– Measuring spoons
– Large spoon or scoop
– Foil piece, 6″x 8″