By Chef Gretchen Fayerweather
1 pinch salt and pepper
10 large kale leaves
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage
1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil and/or oregano
1 Loaf Italian bread
3/4 pound gouda, provolone or mozzarella sliced
1. In a large pot, bring a few inches of water to a boil and salt it. Add the kale and boil for 3 minutes.
2. Drain the kale, then plunge it into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Shake dry and finely chop.
3. Preheat the oven to 400F. In a large skillet, heat half the olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the sausage.
4. Meanwhile, combine the ricotta, 1/4 cup Parmesan, olive oil and the herbs; season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut bread lengthwise and spread the cheese mixture evenly over it. Top with sausage, kale, and remaining cheese.
6. Bake until cheese starts to turn golden, about 8-10 minutes.
*Save time, grab these items:
– Large pot
– Skillet pan
– Mixing bowl
– Cookie sheet