By Chef Gretchen Fayerweather
This dish is so tasty and so beautiful! Pretty in pink!
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
3/4 cups rice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon rosemary
1-2 beets, about 1 cup
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt, to taste
1. Beets: 2 methods,
a.) Boil beets for 10 minutes until fork tender, chill in ice water, when cool, the skin will come off in you hands. Dice into small pieces.
b.) Peel raw beets and grate them on your box grater.
Set beets aside.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium sized pot over high heat. Add diced onions and cook until tender and starting to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
3. Add rice, garlic and rosemary to the cooked onions, Stir, cooking until the rice is coated, about 1 minute.
4. After rice is coated, stir in beets and broth to the mixture.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
Optional: 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese over each serving if using.
*Save time, grab these Kitchen tools:
– Large knife and cutting board
– Box Grater (optional)
– Medium sauce pot with lid
– Measuring cups and spoons
– Large spoon