Makes Yield: 6-8 Servings | Source www.theharvestkitchen.com
This Italian Chopped Salad is a quintessential chopped salad that’s loaded with flavor and a delicious combo of ingredients. It’s great to serve with any Italian dish, grilled chicken or salmon, yet filling enough to be a meal on its own. Perfect for warm summer nights, backyard barbecues and potlucks.
- Half of a small red onion halved through the core
- 1 large head romaine lettuce
- 1 medium head radicchio
- 1-pint small sweet cherry tomatoes halved through the stem ends
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and seeded then cut in half and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or 4 ounces aged provolone, sliced into strips)
- 5 peperoncini, stems cut off and discarded, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup Oregano Vinaigrette
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
- 2-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1-1/2 cups good extra-virgin olive oil
- Slice the layers of onions lengthwise 1/16 inch thick. Place the onion slices in a small bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Drain the onion and pat dry with paper towels before adding them to the salad.
- Thinly slice the lettuce and radicchio.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, radicchio, tomatoes, cucumber, garbanzo beans, cheese, , peperoncini, and onion slices.
- Toss to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette and the juice of the lemon over the salad, then toss gently to coat the salad with the dressing.
- Taste for seasoning and add more lemon juice, or vinaigrette if desired.
- Sprinkle with extra oregano and serve.
Italian Salad Dressing
- Combine the vinegar, oregano, lemon juice, garlic, kalamata olives, Parmesan cheese, and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate the oregano and basil.
- Add the olive oil in a slow thin stream, whisking constantly to combine. You can also add all the ingredients to a glass jar with a lid and shake to combine.