Prep 20 minutes | Cook 45 minutes | Makes Yield: about 1 pot | Source allrecipes.com & Vita Mix Cookbook
I add a small amount of maple syrup (less than a teaspoon) to my bowl of soup…it seems to “brighten” the flavor a bit. – Faye Dittamore
- 2 Acorn Squash, halved and seeded
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium Gala apples
- 4 cups Kale, torn
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 3 cups carrot juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place squash cut side down in baking dish, add water to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Bake in the oven until flesh is easily pricked with a fork, about 45 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let cool until squash can be handled. Scoop out flesh and set aside.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer, covered, 30 minutes: carrot juice, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, almonds, onion, carrot, garlic, apples, kale, and spices.
- Ladle squash, vegetables, and liquid into Vita Mix or another high speed blender (necessary to “hide” kale and a great way to sneak it into your diet). Slowly increase speak to 10 then high for one minute.
- Pour pureed soup into a clean pot and repeat #5 until remaining ingredients are pureed.
- Mix all batches and serve hot.