CSA member submission from Sharon Choma – the spruce
2-3 large carrots
1 onion, chopped small
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced, for heat
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1 14oz. can coconut milk
sea salt, to taste
1. Simmer the carrots, onions, ginger and curry powder in vegetable broth for 20-25 minutes, until carrots are soft.
2. Allow to cool slightly, and then puree in a blender, working in batched if needed.
3. Return to hear and stir in coconut milk until well combined.
4. Season generously with sea salt, to taste.
5. Serve hot, or chill until cold and serve as a vegetarian and vegan appetizer soup. Soup will thicken as it cools, so if serving cold, you may want to add a little extra liquid for consistency.
Farm-wife Diane, tells us that cucumber/onion with mayo and vinegar quenches a HUNGRY MANS stomach,“Every year my mother-in-law would bring us a big bowl and I would have to fight the farm guys to get a portion”. So… REFRESHING, on a HOT summer day!
2 cucumbers, very thinly sliced.
1 onion, very thinly sliced.
2 tablespoons vinegar or 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or 2 tablespoons yogurt or mayo
salt and pepper, to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, optional
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill. Or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill DIRECTIONS::
Mix cucumbers and onions together. Mix rest of ingredients together in a bowl and stir. Add to cucumbers, chill till very cold & serve.
Farm wife Diane tells us that, Her mom used to always take fresh green beans and cook them with bacon. Her dad always thought they were the BEST! “Also, when Diane was health minister she learned to eat fresh beans raw and thinks the yellow ones we have been picking are absolutely delicious!”
Combine fresh beans, olive oil, garlic, and salt in a bowl; toss to coat. Allow beans to marinate for 30 minutes.
Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Arrange green beans on a grill pan.
Place grill pan on preheated grill; cook and stir green beans until lightly charred, about 10 minutes.