Farm-wife Diane, tells us that cucumber/onion with mayo and vinegar quenches a HUNGRY MANS stomach, “Every year my mother-in-law would bring us a big bowl and I would have to fight the farm guys to get a portion”. So… REFRESHING, on a HOT summer day!
- 2 cucumbers, very thinly sliced.
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced.
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or 2 tablespoons yogurt or mayo
- salt and pepper, to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill. Or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Mix cucumbers and onions together. Mix rest of ingredients together in a bowl and stir. Add to cucumbers, chill till very cold & serve.