Prep Cook Total 30
- 2 pounds tomatoes (a mix of small heirlooms and cherry tomatoes), halved
- 1 pound ripe stone fruits (a mix of plums, apricots, pluots and/or nectarines), halved
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/3 cup chives, chopped
- 8 ounces ciliegine mozzarella, halved
- A handful of torn, fresh basil leaves
- Zest of one lemon
- An extra drizzle of olive oil or lemon oil (for finishing)
- Flaked sea salt for finishing, (optional)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled to preference
1. Preheat the grill to 350°F. In a large bowl, toss half the tomatoes and stone fruits with the olive oil, maple syrup or brown sugar and salt. Arrange in a single layer on the grill. Allow the fruit to char a bit before flipping. Char the second side. Remove all of the tomatoes and stone fruits from the grill. Grill the chicken next, if this has not yet been done. Set aside to cool while you finish the other salad ingredients.
2. Halve the mozzarella, zest the lemon and chop the chives and basil leaves.
3. When ready to serve, gently toss the roasted fruits with the remaining raw fruits and a bit of olive oil, most of the almonds, chives and basil, as well as all of the capers and the mozzarella. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Serve in individual bowls. Top with remaining 1 tablespoon each of almonds, chives and basil.